The United Soccer Leagues, Triangle Pro Soccer and the Town of Cary formally announced today that the USL will be expanding to Cary for the 2007 season. The as-yet-unnamed team will play at SAS Soccer Park and will be a member of the USL First Division. Some highlights from the press conference:
- Cary will feature in the new team's identity, either in the name or with a crest on the team shirt
- There will be a "name the team" contest with the winner receiving two lifetime season tickets
- The ownership group includes investors from the Rochester Raging Rhinos and the Atlanta Silverbacks, two existing USL First Division teams
- Plans are for a six-to-ten game exhibition season at SAS Stadium this summer. Potential teams involved could include MLS teams, USL teams and international club teams.
- There might also be a professional lacrosse exhibition at SAS Stadium
- Season tickets packages are scheduled to start as low as $99